Thursday, December 04, 2008

Ella's Seizure

Some of you already know this story, but I thought I'd post it for the rest of you.
We came back from California Saturday and Sunday and we stayed in Mesquite Saturday night. Ella was working on a fever on our drive on Saturday. Before she went to bed we gave her some Tylenol, but she woke up at about midnight just burning up. I gave her some ibuprofen, but her fever just wouldn't break. We don't have a whole lot of experience with fevers - we've probably only had 2 since Henry was born - and so we didn't really know what to do. We put cold wash cloths on her and had her in our bed with us, but we left her jammies on her (which were really warm jammies - not a good idea). Just before 3 am she flopped over onto me and was sleeping. At about 3, she let out a big yell and started into a seizure. We both jumped up and Adam said to put her onto her side. We weren't exactly sure what was happening, but we did know that it was a seizure. Adam grabbed more wet wash cloths and put them on her head and I held her on her side. I was so worried she would stop breathing and I kept listening to make sure her heart was still beating. We really just didn't know what to expect. Adam called 911 and told them we had a 1 year old in the middle of a seizure. He left the room to wait for the paramedics and I just kept telling her to stay with me and that mommy loved her. I really had no idea what to expect. Once her body calmed down and her eyes relaxed back to their normal position, I took her jammies off and she was SO hot under them (they were just holding the heat in). She just layed there very still for a long time. Sometimes she cried a little. The paramedics came and said that her temp was 102.9 (which wasn't bad at all) and tested to make sure that she was getting enough oxygen. Her seizure was probably only about 1-2 minutes, which isn't dangerous. They said over 5 minutes is when it can be a problem. They told us that fever-induced seizures are really common and that they have no lasting effects. But they also encouraged us to go to the hospital to have them help us get her fever down and to check her out. Oh - and they also said that seizures take a lot out of you and so that is why she was just laying there so still - that her body was just exhausted.
So I took her to the hospital and they gave her both tylenol and ibuprofen at the same time. By the time we left her fever was down. And apparently if your child has had this kind of seizure they are more prone to have them again if their temperature rises too quickly. So now we have to be on alert with Ella and fevers!
I can't tell you how grateful we are that she is safe, but I also can't tell you how extremely frightening that situation was. I NEVER want to see one of my kids in that state ever again for my whole life. It has left a horrible memory in our minds.
We sure do love our little Ella Bella, though. She is such a joy and she keeps us on our feet!

15 comments:

Jess and Jen said...

I can't even imagine how scary it would be to have that happen! I'm so glad she is okay! Stay healthy Ella! --Jen

Jeppson Clan said...

Oh Amy, I'm tearing up reading this, that is scary! I'm so glad she's o.k.!

Anonymous said...

How scary! I don't think I'd know what to do either other than panic! I'm so glad she is alright. I didn't know that seizures were common. I hope you never have to see it ever again.

Mieka said...

Oh Amy - I was in tears just reading that. I would have completely paniced if it were me. Yikes. Glad she's ok and thanks for the education.

Mike and Adrianne said...

That would feak me out. I have them--I'm sure you know--but I've only seen two other people have them. They are scary. I always wonder if one of the kids will one day start having them too. It scares me a lot. I'm sorry you had to experience that.

melissa said...

Oh, how scary! Your mom told me the story on Sunday, but reading in your words is even more heart-wrenching! I am so glad she is ok!

joeandcarole said...

Our prayers were with you as you left...when something really critical and urgent happens we truly know how important it is to have Heavenly Father with us always. It was such a joy having you and Adam at home for Thanksgiving, and, dare I say "especially" Henry and Ella, our 2 dear, sweet grandbabies (with, of course, the other 6 dear, sweet grandbabies!).
We love you all...and miss you a lot!

Sandy said...

Oh man, Aims! We went through the same thing with Heather this summer - luckily for me, I'd seen my little sisters do this when I was younger - I can't imagine how scary it would be without any prior experience! I'm glad she's safe and everything is okay...how's mama holding up?

Julie said...

I'm sorry you guys had to go through that! I had one when I was little and so did my 2 youngest sisters. Because of it, I think I'm overly cautious when my kids get fevers. I learned that when their fever starts to spike, a good way to cool them down is put them in a luke warm bath (you don't want it too hot obviously, but if its too cold, it can actually make their fever worse too). I hope you're all doing good and Ella is feeling better!

V and Co. said...

amy i'm so sorry! i'm glad she's okay!

Papa Doc said...

Even if you don't want to know too much about it, it helps to learn all you can about seizures and how to help out if it ever happens again. It is a very frightening experience. I'm so glad it all turned out well.
I hope she gets over her cold quickly.
Mom C.

Andrea said...

Oh my gosh Amy!! I'm so glad she is okay. That is great information on seizures. We have not had too many fevers with Connor, but I always want to be educated & prepared.

Merry Christmas!!

Brandon and Erin said...

So glad she is ok. That is sooo scary. I can't imagine. I keep telling myself how lucky I am to have 2 kids and no serious problems/hospital trips yet. I don't know what I would do. It is so good that you and Adam were together. Glad she is ok.

Adam and Rachel Family said...

That would have been so frightening. Thanks for the information you posted. Isaac had a fever just last week and I wasn't sure what to do. I'm so glad she is doing better.

CrAzYfUnFaMiLy said...

wow! I am so glad she is okay, thats really scary! I would be running around like a maniac, wow yor such a good mom. make sure to give her lots of blessings!!!!